As I roved out thro' Galway town to seek for recreation,|
On the seventeenth of August, my mind was elevated.
There were multitudes assembled with their tickets at the station,
My eyes began to dazzle and they goin' to see the races.
Agus fáim arís an crúisgin
Is biodh sé lan.
Grá mo chroí mo chrúis gín
Sláinte geal mo vúirnin
2. There were passengers from Limerick and passengers from Nenagh
And passengers from Dublin and sportsmen from Tipp'rary.
There were passengers from Kerry and all quarters of the Nation
And our member Mr. Hasset for to join the Galway Blazers.
3. There were multitudes from Aran and members from New Quay shore
The boys from Connamara and the Clare unmarried maidens
There were people from Cork city who were loyal, true and faithful
That brought home Fenian prisoners from dying in foreign nations.
4. It's there you'll see confectioners with sugarsticks and dainties
The lozenges and oranges, the lemonade and raisins.
The gingerbread and spices to accommodate the ladies
And a big crubeen for threepence to be picking while you're able.
5. It's there you'll see the gamblers, the thimbles and the garters
And the sporting Wheel of Fortune with the four and twenty quarters
There was others without scruple pelting wattles at poor Maggy
And her father well contented and he looking at his daughter.
6. It's there you'll see the pipers and the fiddlers competing
And the nimble-footed dancers and they tripping on the daisies
There was others crying cigars and lights, and bills of all the races
With the colours of the jockeys and the prize and horses' ages.
7. It's there you'll see the jockeys and they mounted on most stately
The pink and the blue, the red and green, the Emblen of our nation.
When the bell was rung for starting, all the horses seemed impatient,
I thought they never stood on ground, their speed was so amazing.
8. There was half a million people there of all denominations
The Catholic, the Protestant, the Jew and Presbyterian.
There was yet no animosity, no matter what persuasion
But fáilte and hospitality inducing fresh acquaintance.